Mango Chicken, Rice, Carrots and Coleslaw
Serves 8 (half the recipe for x 4 serving)
Time: 8 hours
· 2 kg chicken breasts
· X 4 tbsp pasanda spice
· X 8 tbsp mango chutney
· 500 g brown basmati rice
· X 2 red onions (peeled, halved and thinly sliced)
· X 2 garlic cloves (peeled and grated/pressed)
· 300 ml chicken stock
· X 8 carrots (peeled and cut into match sticks)
· X 1 tbsp olive oil
· Salt and pepper
· X 1 small white cabbage (core removed, quartered, and finely sliced)
· X 1 small red cabbage (core removed, quartered, and finely sliced)
· X 2 red onions (finely sliced)
· X 1 red apple (peeled and grated)
· X 3 carrots (peeled and grated)
· 250g fat free yogurt
· Splash of rice wine vinegar (white wine vinegar is also fine)
· X 1 tsp cumin
· X 1 tsp chilli flakes
· X 1 tbsp honey
1 hour to go:
· Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees. Place the carrots at the bottom of a tray. Add the olive oil, salt and pepper and mix until coated. Place in the oven and cook for 50 minutes. Make sure you give the carrots a good shake around during cooking.
· Combine the chicken with the pasanda spice and leave to sit.
· Whilst the carrots are cooking away combine the cabbages, onions, apple, carrots, yogurt, rice wine vinegar, cumin, chilli flakes and honey. Mix thoroughly.
45 minutes to go:
· Put a couple of large pans on a high heat and add a splash of oil. Add the chicken and pan fry to seal the whole chicken breast.
· Put a sauce pan on a medium heat and add a splash of oil. Add the red onions and cook for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the rice and the chicken stock and cook through as per the rice packaging instructions.
30 minutes to go:
· Remove the chicken from the pan and place on a baking tray. Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until cooked through.
10 minutes to go:
· Remove the chicken from the oven. Put a large pan on a medium heat and add a splash of olive oil. Cut the chicken into slices and add it to the pans. Add the mango chutney to the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, constantly stirring, coating the chicken in the mango chutney.
Remove the carrots from the oven. Place the chicken on top of a bed of rice. Sprinkle with carrots and a handful of coleslaw!